Saturday, November 12, 2011

Baking With Kids - Easy Apple Crisp Recipe

When my daughter was quite young we began baking together, as a diversion, on a snowy day. We started with a simple no bake cereal treat and as she grew we moved on to more complicated recipes. Even now, as a busy teen, she will make time to bake with me. I truly enjoy these moments together.

Safety is the most important thing to remember when cooking with a child. You must use common sense and keep the child away from sharp knives, anything breakable and of course the hot stove and oven. l would set everything up in measuring cups and then let her pour each item into a bowl and stir or mix things together. I would give her a tablespoon to scoop up batter and roll into cookies. But my rule was that when it was time to open the oven door, to put things in or take them out, she was out of the way. She stood where I could see her but she was safe from getting burned.

One of our favorite recipes to make is Apple Crisp. This is a very basic recipe that I got from my mom a long time ago. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. You will need 4-6 of your favorite apples. I like to use some Macintosh and Granny Smiths. I prefer to core, peel and then slice them. You can have your child arrange the apple slices in an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.

Now, in a separate bowl, you and your child can put together the crisp topping. You will need 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup of oats, 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and a 1/2 cup of softened margarine or butter. You can also add 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts, at this time. Mix all these ingredients together with a fork and then have fun sprinkling the topping over the apples.

Bake uncovered until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender. This takes about 30 minutes. Enjoy your apple crisp warm or cold with a little whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment